Tuesday, 9 February 2010

A trainee journalist's first task

So here I am, I've made it, I'm a qualified trainee journalist (well, pending exam results). And I'm about to do the thing that most trainee journalists do these days as soon as they finish their course; sign on. I'm joining the ranks of the 2.5 million other unemployed in Britain to spend my days trawling job websites, making paper aeroplanes and compiling inventories of all the things I could sell in my flat on ebay (holey socks anyone?).

Me and Joe went on a mass CV drop yesterday in the hope of securing a bar or restaurant job to fill our days. It was quite a good double act actually – it sort of went;
Joe: “I'm looking for a part time job.”
Bethan: “So am I!”
Joe and Bethan together: “Can we hand in our CV's?” *winning smiles with optional jazz hands*

Well, we must have done something right because just an hour later we had a call from Paul at Frankie and Benny's asking us in for an interview. I supremely enjoyed telling my mum on the phone:
“Mum, guess what?”
“What?”
“Me and Joe have both got interviews!”
“That's fantastic!”
“I KNOW, guess where?”
“Where?!!”
“Frankie and Benny's”
“Oh...”

One of the great advantages I have already discovered about being unemployed is that I have the time to very thoroughly read the local newspaper. Yesterday, while idling through the personal announcements I discovered something very disturbing indeed. One baby, who was celebrating his first birthday, had no less than four birthday wishes in the paper from four different members of his family! I mean considering there were only 7 birthday announcements in the entire paper, that's pretty good going. I wonder if they all realise that babies rarely read newspapers...

2 comments:

  1. Hehee! Well done. I reckon you'll land a better interview soon. Applications are stacking up in my brain like a big creaky library. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another advantage about being unemployed is that you get to right more entertaining blogs! I hope the job hunt is going well - an interview so soon after finishing is a great start (even if it is at frankie and bennys!

    ReplyDelete